Responsible Beverage Service Training

Responsible Beverage Service Training

How To Get A Permit

The Tennessee Alcohol Beverage Commission (TABC) has regulations concerning who can serve alcoholic beverages in the state of Tennessee. In order to serve alcoholic beverages you must meet the following criteria:

  1. You have not been convicted of a felony within the previous four years.
  2. You have not been convicted of any crime relating to the sale of alcoholic beverages, beer, schedules 1 or 2 controlled substances or any sex-related crime or embezzlement within the previous eight years.
  3. You have not had an employee or server permit or similar permit issued in a foreign jurisdiction revoked within the past five years.
  4. You have not had any ownership interest in any establishment which has had its license or permit revoked within the previous eight years.
  5. Within one year prior to the submission of the application you must have successfully completed a program of alcohol awareness training approved by the TABC.
  6. You must have attained your eighteenth birthday.


If you have met all of the requirements listed above, the TABC requires that you have a valid TABC permit in your establishment or on your person as follows:

New Employees: within 61 days of your hire date.

Promoted Employees: within 61 days of changing your job status to an alcohol serving position.

Employees With Current TABC Server Permits: before your card expires.

In order to receive a permit, you must attend a TABC approved Alcohol Awareness Class that includes a minimum of 5 hours of instruction and pass the TABC test at the end of class.

Just attending a class does not allow you to legally serve. You must have a copy of the TABC Server Permit, issued by the Tennessee Alcoholic Beverage Commission, in your establishment, and you must have a copy with you while you are working.


Date, Time and Location of Training:

Upon request and posted on Drug Free Dickson Coalition Facebook Page. Contact us at to request training.

Training will be offered as needed and requested with updates posted on the Drug Free Dickson Coalition Facebook page. The training must last a minimum of 5 hours for on

premises and a minimum of 2 hours for off premises and responsible wine vendor training. Once training is completed, DFDC will turn in all paperwork and applications to TABC for you to receive your ABC card, or Responsible Wine Vendor card.


What you need to bring:

You will need to bring a state issued photo ID, pen, and payment either as cash, company check, or money order. No personal checks will be accepted.

Cost: Class Cost $65, permit cost $20= $85 Total Cost

The Alcoholic Beverage Commission is responsible for the enforcement and regulation of all phases of liquor by the drink in most states.


The application has to be notarized before going to the TABC office. There are two ways to get your ABC card. You can have the trainer pick up your card for you at no additional charge, or if you are in a hurry you can pick up your server permit yourself at one of the TABC offices.